When do I need to see a Greater Living geriatrician?
You should see a Greater Living geriatrician if you are experiencing decline in functional status, including:

  • Cognitive functioning
  • New onset of incontinence
  • Confusion
  • Decreased oral intake
  • Complicated medical diagnoses
  • Multiple medications
  • Increasing need for assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
  • Concerns about your living situation.

Do I have to leave my primary care physician when I begin seeing a Greater Living geriatrician?
You do not necessarily need to stop seeing your primary care physician. You can request a consult from a geriatrician or geriatric nurse practitioner. Geriatrics is generally considered a primary discipline devoted to managing the complex medical, physical, psychological and social issues of older individuals. The geriatrician can serve as the primary care physician if needed or requested.

If I have to be admitted to the hospital, what is the process for inpatient placement on the Acute Care for the Elderly Unit (ACE)?
You or your doctor can request the ACE unit.  However, all requests are subject to bed availability.

caregivers, families and physicians



Calendar & Events

See all of Gilchrist Services upcoming events, bereavement workshops and volunteer training schedules.

Event Highlights 

Taste of Howard County
Summer Concert
We Remember Them
Grief Services Registration
Become a Volunteer


View all of our open positions.

Create and customize your online experience with Gilchrist Hospice Care and receive the latest eNews and Updates

About Gilchrist services

Your questions about Gilchrist Services answered.

Follow Us

Facebook Icon New Twitter Bird Icon YouTube Icon New WordPress Icon LinkedIn

© 2015 Gilchrist Services.  All rights reserved.  Please read our Disclaimer and Privacy Policy     Email us