ABOUT GILCHRIST HOSPICE CARE
Our hospice services include medical and nursing care, social work support, home health care, spiritual care, and volunteer assistance, as well as grief counseling.
WHERE WE SERVE
Gilchrist Hospice Care serves the central Maryland community, specifically:
- Baltimore City
- Baltimore County
- Carroll County
- Harford County
- Howard County
In addition to our headquarters in Hunt Valley and a home-based care office in Columbia, we maintain three inpatient facilities: Gilchrist Center Towson, Gilchrist Center Howard County, and Gilchrist Center Baltimore – Joseph Richey House. Learn more about inpatient care.
GILCHRIST AT A GLANCE
In the beginning:
Gilchrist Hospice Care was founded as the non-profit Hospice of Baltimore in 1994, and joined forces with Hospice Services of Howard County three years later. In 1996, the organization opened its first inpatient hospice center, Gilchrist Center, located in Towson, Maryland. In 2009, that facility was expanded from 24 to 34 beds, in response to increasing demand for acute inpatient hospice care. In 2011, we opened our second inpatient hospice facility, Gilchrist Center Howard County, a 10-bed center in Columbia, and in 2014, Gilchrist took over management of the only residential inpatient hospice center in Baltimore and renamed it Gilchrist Center Baltimore – Joseph Richey House.
The organization was renamed Gilchrist Hospice Care in 2008 in honor of our founding benefactor, Jeanne “Jinny” Gilchrist Vance, whose philanthropy and vision were instrumental to the creation and exponential growth of our extraordinary hospice. Since its founding, Gilchrist has continued to rely on the support of many individuals, foundations and organizations throughout Baltimore to help cover the costs of care that are not funded or fully funded by Medicare, Medicaid and private insurers, including care for individuals with no insurance and programs like music therapy and child life support.
Today and always:
- Gilchrist Hospice Care is the largest hospice provider in Maryland and cares for more than 600 terminally-ill patients every day.
- We are committed to meeting the needs of each and every patient wherever he or she resides – at home, in a nursing home or in a residential care facility (assisted-living facilities, group homes and retirement communities) – as well as at our three inpatient centers.
- We provide patients, their caregivers and family members with specialized care and guidance to help them address the complex physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs that often accompany a life-limiting illness.
- We care for all patients in need of hospice care, regardless of ability to pay.
Gilchrist Hospice Care is:
- certified by Medicare
- fully licensed by the State of Maryland
- accredited by The Joint Commission
- an affilate of Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC)
And a member the following organizations:
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Hospice Alliance of the National Capital Area
- Hospice & Palliative Care Network of Maryland
- Global Partners in Care